As allways – for details see video description on YT/Vimeo (all videos are re-uploaded after deletion on YT) :
Category Archives: Skraidymai
Simple portable RF power meter
I had several RF heads – based on AD8317 (and working from PC), also based on AD8313 (you can get entire RF head assembled for ~20$ or so at https://www.sv1afn.com/projects.html) and decided that i need portable box for measuring signal levels and VTX power.
Did that, working well:
it’s actually very simple and entire box costs ~35$ or so (if you have basic parts and attenuators already). Accuracy is acceptable (+/- 1.5dBm in -10 … -40dBm range).
And no, it won’t work better than other tools (even RF explorer is much better with it’s -105dB+ range); it won’t do correct math for frequency (MCU is too weak to do proper calculations). So, if you need serious tool – go look for other solutions. If you need something cheap and working well enough to test antennas/TX/RX – it works good enough.
2014 FPV meeting
Few videos from this year FPV meeting:
Summer/Autumn FPV videos
Already old ;-)
CPATCH12 – dimensions and details
Got one CPATCH12… Looks OK, but pricey – i want to do large phased array, so i measured dimensions and will try to make it on other materials (original material – black FR4, probably requires some modifications if dielectric material changes).
Anyway, pics (with active part visible – i put microcontrast at max), dimensions (active part) and 3D drawing below.
Video link range comparison
Not exactly comparison, as you can’t see what i see in my screen, but…
If a Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words, Then Video is Priceless!
Circular vs Linear polarisation – long range comparison
I’m working on long-range (60km+ one direction, 200km+ total range) FPV plane. Almost entire plane is built from scratch (batteries, airframe, autopilot, antennas) and i’m trying to choose right components.
For 60km+ range i probably can’t go with single antenna – i need array of antennas (other options – LNA (good LNA are very expensive!), more power to VTX (and i need electric power for motor, also – interference), trackers on both sides (too complex and error prone)). Now just need to choose correct polarisation option…
So, my options at this moment – circular polarized array (CP BiCircles – i like circles :P ) or linear polarized array (again, bicircles). Both have high gain (~16dBi for CP array, ~17dBi for LP array), both can be built to be flat (another reason why yagi antenna is out of scope – too big to transport).
Lots of resources on internet about CP/LP choice, in general all agree about:
- LP is worse in banked turs, CP works well in any direction (agree 100%, that’s why satellites use CP – but question “how much banking is too much for LP?”)
- For the same volume/weight LP offers higher gain (serious reason why i’m reverting to LP – huge CP antennas, easy damaged in transportation, higher gain antennas (such as QFH) are draggy a lot)
- CP is a “must have” for higher frequencies (again, agree – LP on 5.8GHz sucks ballz due to multipathing issues, but for long range i’m going on 1.3GHz setup)
- LP antennas are easy to make (and this is great – i killed three cloverleafs while flying in forest in one day, repairing them takes lots of time. Long range plane keeps antennas safe, but sometimes they break anyway and…)
So, question remains – how much banking is too much for LP, and how much image quality i will loose for using LP? Knowing this, i can choose right antenna array. To answer this question, i did simple test. Conditions:
- 18dB attenuator on plane (cut range by 4 – i.e. 10km with attenuator = 40km without. Well, at least in theory)
- my old CP antennas – verified, 15km without attenuator is “easy mode”, VSWR < 1.5 when new vs brand new, just “cooked” Vee’s + BiCircle (BiCircle gain = BiQuad gain and almost the same radiation pattern)
- The same frequency (1280MHz), the same plane with the same setup (and the same battery), identical weather conditions (well, if possible – liftoff during sunset without wind, after second test landed in almost dark environment, with strong wind)
- If possible, very bad conditions (RF noise – cell towers nearby, willage, mobile phones; clouds, moisture)
What i got (distance is top-middle):
OK, my old CP antennas lived trough hell (lots of crashes, repairs, re-soldering, tunning) and probably do not have < 1.5 SWR anymore. But i didn’t expected them to perform so bad, compared to LP…
< 5km range with CP (OK, bit better signal quality compared to LP – less noise, no sudden signal loss), that’s approx 20km total range. 10km range with LP (still good signal when banking – check video) – that’s approx 40km total range without attenuator and in better weather/RF conditions (and really simple antenna construction, Vee’s won’t be destroyed by trees anymore) – i think, we got clear winner here.
Next in work queue – BiCircle antenna array for 60km+ range (and i guess 80km range should be easy too).
- results are valid for low freq (0.9-1.3GHz) video transmission. On higher frequencies (2.4GHz and esp. 5.8GHz) it’s a different story
- Yes, i will perform “max range” tests without attenuator, when i finish my long-range plane. Currently i can’t go past 30km to one direction (temperature issues, also some issues with current plane setup) so i can’t test single antenna to it’s limits, not talking about array…
- BiCircle and BiQuad have identical gain and (probably) just minor differences to gain pattern. I choose BiCircle for it’s look and simplicity. Also, tested on different frequencies – works great, so why bother bending corners?
- In good weather (no forests around, no rain/moisture, no clouds layer, no RF noise) range should be better. Take off attenuator, mount antennas and… =)
FPV cams: CC1333 vs HS1149F – short review
I’m building long-range plane and was looking for camera with small frontal area. All my FPV cameras are PZ0420 (with or without IR filter, also known as CMQ1993X on sc2k, sold as CC1333 and CC1333-B on surveilzone) – great cameras for FPV, but huge drag on fast plane.
Found this one – HS1149F – acceptable price and small enough. After 2 weeks… :
It’s really small! Even with this metal case it’s much smaller than PZ0420 with broken off edges (bottom left).
Did short test in my living room with two cams: PZ0420 (no IR filter, better light sensitivity, bad colors) and HS1149F. Sorry, no flight videos with new cam – i won’t have time for at least two weeks and weather sucks (CMQ1993X – the same PZ0420 with IR filter video is here). I maybe add video with new cam later…
So, PZ0420 in my living room, pointing straight to light source:
From left to right:
- “Default settings” – all stock
- WDR On, AGC Medium, BLC On, Brightness/Saturation/Colors adjusted as i like to fly (i used similar settings on FPV meeting video recording). No green lamp on IR-filtered version ;-)
- Low light performance – light turned off, PC below is working and small lamp in another room side… Really dark.
The same image with HS1149F:
From left to right:
- “Default settings” – all stock
- WDR On, AGC Medium, Brightness/Saturation/Colors adjusted a bit. WDR setting at max.
- Low light performance – light turned off, the same lightning conditions.
- + great low light performance
- + good working WDR, at least in living room
- + small and light
- – settings cable is really stupid, compared to PZ0420 – i will probably set everything as i want and toss it away. Hard to use, heavy, on the same cable as video signal, pffff….
- – price is higher compared to CC1333
First flights after few weeks, if it’s in-air performance will be great – i will replace my other cams too ;-)
EDIT: short comparison video is here:
Pagaliau radau laiko viską (tiksliau, didžiąją dalį) sudėt į krūvą….
Somewhere over the clouds
Lots of space around. Sun, clouds and blue sky. Few kilometers until closest hard object.
Complete freedom. Almost SPAAAAAAACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! (c) Portal
A bit earlier, using the same equipment:
Šiandien po ranka papuolė keli kadrai. Tiesiog gražios spalvos ir tiek ;-)
Video bus kažkada vėliau…
Antenos, antenos, antenos… Pagrindai ir praktiniai patarimai
Kažkada rašiau ilgus postus apie antenas, forume jiems ne vieta – permetu čia, kad netrūnytų HDD ;-)
FPV meeting media
After some break…. ;-)
2013.08.02-2013.08.04 – great weekend with lots of airplanes, multicopters and other stuff. I just post some media here (from my cams/DVR)…
DVR-mix (low quality, i will add gopro and other cam content later):
Join us in 2014! =)